Friday 25 January 2013

Magnesium Flakes - A Review

WOW! What a bath!

Recently, since starting the Harcombe diet I've been reading a lot about nutrition and in particular how your body absorbs, processes and uses vitamins and minerals.  Sadly it seems I've been lacking in some essentials so after a bit of a Boots haul to stock up on vitamin C/zinc, garlic tablets and omega 3 fish oils I then started reading about magnesium.

The main thing that piqued my interest with magnesium is how having the correct levels can treat insomnia and whilst I've been sleeping better on this diet (bye, bye Nytol) I still struggle from time to time with waking up in the night.  I also suffer from anxiety and it appears magnesium is also beneficial for this.  The fact that magnesium can also help with ageing of the skin (along with many other things) is a big bonus.

I've read that eating lots of leafy greens and nuts is a great source of magnesium but taking a supplement can also help (of course go steady with this).  As I'm in danger of rattling I looked into transdermal magnesium (basically absorbing it through your skin).  As the skin is our largest organ it's recommended that we bathe in it!

So - I found these in Libertys (they are also available on Amazon) and gave them a try tonight.

(Bag O'Flakes)

(Handful of the flakes)
Directions: Run a bath and drop in roughly one cup of the flakes.  Wait for them to dissolve and dive in.  It's that simple.

How do I feel?  Well, I want to give it another couple of baths (it's recommended you have 1-2 magnesium baths a week (and avoid using shower gels and bath products with parabens in, in the meantime) however, after my first try I feel as if I am floating on a cloud.  I always take hot, hot baths (not great I know) so I'm used to feeling slightly tingly afterwards, but this feeling is something very different.  The best way I can describe it is I feel icy tingles all over my skin, it's very pleasant and relaxing and I feel very peaceful and almost floaty.  Roll on bedtime, I have a feeling I'll be sleeping well tonight.



(Important note: I am not a dietician nor am I a nutritionist   The views above are based on research I've done in various books, on the web and my own personal view about this particular product alone.  Any concerns, always consult your doctor)

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog ( http://blondieslens.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/nominated-for-liebster-award.html ) as I love your blog as well! You now have two nominations aha :) x Thanks for nominating me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much! I'm heading over to the post now to read :) x

      Delete
  2. Hello! Saw your interest in Magnesium Flakes and thought you may like to enter this contest that's being run on a fb page: www.facebook.com/elementz.malaysia
    You won't have to talk about their brand of Magnesium in specific but in general.. who knows you may win! Hardly anyone's entered their contest so far, haha.

    ReplyDelete