Tuesday 29 January 2013

Spending Ban - January - April 2013


Twelve Little Rules to live by....

So I need to get saving some money.  I'm planning two potential holidays and they simply won't happen if I keep living my current lifestyle and spending like an idiot (how many nail varnishes do I really need?).  

My ban actually started a week ago but shall run until April and then I'll take stock, see what I've saved and re-evaluate.  Hopefully by then I'll have enough to get my train/plane fare sorted and feel like an adult with some proper savings for once.



The Rules:

1. Will not buy anything I don't need, be it shampoo, body lotions, make up* etc (if I run out completely that's fine, but I will have enough to keep me going for quite some time).

* aside from the Archie MAC collection where I shall have a little splurge.

2. No new books - I realised quite shamefully that I have yet to read around 50% of the books I own.  I have enough to keep me going!

3. No clothes until I've reached my desired weight and most importantly NO PYJAMAS.  No matter how cool/cute/snuggly they are.

4. No red wine (I have quite a habit) unless I've been invited to a house party and then I can take a bottle.  

5. No DVDs/Box Sets - again I have enough to keep me going.  I've not even started Dexter Series 1 nor the set I got for Christmas.  And in the meantime, I've unfrozen my Love Film account to keep me going.

6. No meals out each week - another waste of money that could be saved and not good for the waistline.  I shall instead have 1 cheat night a month where I can make the most of it.

7. Concentrate on my guitar lessons and yoga, reading, writing and generally things I can do indoors that won't cost me money.

8. Make the most of working in London and visit all the art galleries and museums that I can - free AND cultural (I kicked this off last week with a visit to the Saatchi Gallery).

9. Save a set amount each month (on top of the savings from all the stuff above) and not use it as an excuse to have a pot to 'dip in and out of'.

10. No magazines - I have books I need to get reading and magazines are not helping me be constructive (and show me pictures of things I convince myself I need).

11. No Pret/Itsu/Pod/EAT lunches - I shall be making and taking my lunches to work.

12. No homewear buys for the sake of it - only things I really need, nothing decorative!

If I think of anything else I'll add it in after - these rules are to share with you guys but also to act as a reminder about what I need to focus on and why.  

Anyone else having a spending ban?  Would love to hear about it.


(Image Source: Blunt Card)

10 comments:

  1. It's mad how saving money on little things can mount to being able to have a holiday. I really should think about that when I'm justifying spending ridiculous amounts of money on all my beauty/skincare products.

    I'd love to do a spending ban I just really don't think I could do it, I'm a sucker for impulsive buys.

    Good luck - excited to see how you get on!

    www.SamuelJamesMorris.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah great post! Good luck! :D www.cherrytruth2.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Samuel - it's going to be really tough though, I can't promise I won't have the odd slip up now and then, but I am really going to focus. It'll be worth it. Bad time to start blogging though and reading all these great reviews ;)

    Maybe you could do one for a week as a test and see how much you save?

    I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Its great you are taking part in the spending ban :) Can't wait to see your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks - it's going to be tough but worth it. I've seen you are doing a 100 day ban and noticed how well it's going. Really spurred me on!

      Delete
  5. Great that you're doing it, hope it goes well! :) x

    www.bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely considering a spending ban, not because I'm skint but just to condition myself to stop spending as much and reign my spending habits in a little! I think everyone needs to do something like this at some point and I love reading when someone's taking part in one, so I'm looking forward to reading over the next few months! :)

    Much Love
    GillianEtc.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's been easier than I would have thought so far. Completely agree that everyone should try it even if only for a short time. I can't believe how much I've saved in just a week. Money that would normally have been wasted on products/items I don't need. I'll do an update in a week's time. :)

      Delete